We are a week away from Galentine’s Day, February 13. What are you doing to celebrate the women in your life? It’s important to recognize what these women in our lives do for themselves, their families, their friends and their communities so take some time next Wednesday to appreciate them.
If you aren’t familiar with Galentine’s Day, watch Parks and Recreation, Season 2, Episode 16.
Here are 5 ways you can celebrate the women in your life next Wednesday
- See if there is a local charitable lunch that celebrates women in your community and get a table with your friends. In Fort Collins, there is a luncheon to support WomenGive. This organization works to help women achieve self sufficiency. For example, finding childcare can be a huge limiting factor in a woman attending college or working towards a degree.
- Meet your mom for breakfast, lunch, happy hour or dinner. I personally struggle to find enough time for myself let alone finding time to connect with my mom without kids/grandkids running around and she is the most important woman in my life.
- Start an affirmation mirror at work. Write a few positive notes or phrases on sticky notes and put them on the bathroom mirror for other women at work. Leave the sticky notes and a pen in the bathroom for other women to join in. I saw this idea from a woman at Microsoft!
- Write brief notes of appreciation with the other women you work with. One of the women I worked with about 5 years ago did this for every woman in the office and when I read her note I felt so appreciated and so much gratitude for her and the other women I worked with. Optionally include a piece of chocolate 🙂
- For friends far away send them a silly and cheesy valentine like we handed out in elementary school. Maybe just use a few leftover from your kids.
Also, don’t forget about yourself! Remember to love and appreciate yourself. Take 5 minutes of quiet time to meditate or journal what you are grateful for personally (I’m a morning person! I love my strong legs! etc.)